people acting smartly

i have seen people avoidng cook offs and lunchtime merely so that they do not get a drop in their rating points …which happens in case u take time to code …
people just keep doing long challenges … and avoid the other two… so is that permisable,well it is,but why so, u need to participate …otherwise there should be deduction of rating points…
people are smart enuf to avoid those hours …

That is not true in almost (just to not be absolute) all cases… in fact i think it´s more harder to finish high ranked in long challenge rarer than short common contests. For long contest you will surely need to work a lot if you want to be high ranked after 10 days, not just 4 or 5 hours…

Obviously not all people can just focus on a contest a 2 hours, it´s a different dynamic and you better be fast :slight_smile: … other important details is that cook-offs and lunchtimes are commonly on weekends, sometimes you want just to rest, and in some places weekends are even explicit used only for religious activities. There is no perfect day and/or hour; and people abilities are not the same. Each one choose to compete when they deemed conveniently.

5 Likes

Totally agree with @ymondelo20. Long challenges are best suited for learning purposes, great algorithmic concepts are used like in previous long challenge we had nCr%m, Question on Segment Tree, Max Heap, Combinations etc. People who lack knowledge get to learn and implement it.

On the other hand, when once you get to know about it, you can improve your implementation efficiency in short challenges. Solving just one question in short challenge is useless, because there is no progress in that until you learn something great. Atleast, that’s what I believe in. Ratings are just a part of motivation, knowledge is all that matters.

4 Likes

You have no authority to question anybody’s participation in contest, his frequency of participation or any other personal data.

Everybody has different preferences, different liking and different abilities. There is nothing wrong if someone participates only in long contest because he does good in it. Also, you cannot rule out the possibility that someone is busy/unable to attend them due to circumstances. Also, long challenges aren’t a complete cakewalk. Also, i think that deduction in ratings for not participating is an old, rejected idea. Please search forums a bit.