Please make Long Challenge Unrated, and Increase the number of Short Contests per month on CC

Long Challenge has become one of the most unethical contests on Codechef. People do what not to increase their rating, gathering codes in every way possible, making tons of submissions, etc. etc.(I mean what’s the point? You’re not even increasing your accuracy, just figuring out things by making hundreds of submissions, changing your code a li’l each time. Sometimes it teaches you a few intricate things, I agree, but mostly it’s a redundant freedom to actually aid you in becoming a better coder) I have seen even people even selling solutions (with modifications of course to beat the MOSS) and making money out of it! And as a result, there is no dubiety atleast in recent times that the rating changes after Long Challenge is quite not justified.

Here are my points why LC should be unrated :

Point 1. The MOSS is not strong enough to check plagiarism when it comes to converting the code to a different language, or maybe even changing sufficient variable names. I have witnessed with my own eyes submissions of my friends who share algos and even solutions after modifying them a li’l, and they just manage to pass without any plagiarism penalty. With 2 in a group of 5 doing that, don’t you think quite a lot of people are actually doing that when it comes to participation from so many people?

Point 2. The initiative of Long Challenge is extremely good, and you do get to learn a lot of things while implementing. I myself have learnt quite a lot of things in past long challenges when trying to implement a solution. But, the point is, people who would ACTUALLY want to learn would participate in it anyway, even if it’s unrated, for the sake of just enjoying the art of problem solving ! Making it rated just dilutes the contest or the ranklist, or rather the entire rating bars, because there is no actual strong way to check how many people actually solved the questions on their own, scratching their heads out and thinking up a solution through days, and how many merely gathered help from others.
And the sad news is, CC is being used mostly by Indian Engineering Students nowadays (and I take shame in saying this,cuz evidently most foreigners who are actually world class pros are quite openly against CC as a platform, quite obviously because of these as predominant reasons) to just boast about their CC Rating, which they are getting by just performing in Long Challenges ! Scrutinizing many codechef profiles, you cannot help but notice people are using LC just to increase their rating, and there’s no way to check how originally they solved the problem legit.

As I conclude, I’d like to say, @admin Please increase the number of short contests per month on CC, rather than just 2 HUGELY UNBALANCED contest every month. That’s why people don’t even want to participate in them cuz they know their rating would go down and they would have to wait again for a month to give it a shot to increase their rating once again!
Otherwise, I mean, what’s the point? It just reveals Codechef to be evidently a bad platform day by day, doesn’t it? I won’t say as a platform it’d ever go down because of these reasons cuz obviously people won’t stop using it because they can boast of their CC ratings when they sit for #placements!
But that’s not quite what Directi made Codechef for,( right Anup Kalbalia?), when they had the motive to increase the awareness of programming amongst people of India to do better in IOI/ICPC,right?
And like this you expect people from India to #GoForGold? LOL. Take that.

95 Likes

No! Long contests needs to be rated. That’s the only MOTIVATION that drives 10 days.

If people’s want to copy let them. Why it bothers you? In fact, their life nor your’s is not going to impact either of them. If they plagiarise, at the end of the day, they didn’t learn anything. At the end of a DECADE, they didn’t learn anything.

• Plus, MOSS tests are there.
64 Likes

I think you quite didn’t get the point.

A lot of fake/unethical submissions just dilutes the justified relative increase/decrease of rating for people who legit solves the problem by giving effort, doesn’t it?

Plus, I’ve already stated that MOSS is not strong enough to check plagiarism/sharing of ideas. With the Long Challenge extending for 10 days, it’s quite easy to do so, whereas in Short Contests you just cannot do that right? Hence the plead to increase number of short contests.

14 Likes

bro thats the problem with humans , we do not focus on our things , we only see what other person do , stop that focus on your goal , i think each website have different flavour , like codeforces , hackerearth, spoj , codility , leetcode , hackerrank , coding-ninjas , coding-blocks , geeksforgeeks , atcoder, topcoder, and many more.

5 Likes

Actually, let’s get rid of the short contests and make 2 more long challenges per month instead, here are my points:
Point 1. The ratio (total amount of time people spend learning)/(the amount of work done by problemsetters) is MUCH higher in a long challenge. More learning > less learning, right?!
Point 2. Imagine having 3 long challenges per month - there would be an ongoing long challenge at every given time! 24/7 long challenge! Awesome, right??!??!?!??!!
Point 3. There are already several other sites that provide short contests (codeforces and atcoder have better short contests than cc anyway; also topcoder… exists), but afaik there are no other regular long challenges. Just go on cf/atcoder if you want short contests! :smiley:

Tl;dr: short contests suck, make 3 long per month instead

157 Likes

Yes… And one suggestion the each day a new problem will be unlocked of lower difficulty than previous one…:slight_smile:
@vijju123 can cc do this type of long at least once , what’s your opinion ?

3 Likes

I don’t want Long Challenges to be removed, but I want to stress on the point made by @ssrivastava990 . As you have 7 problems in each divison, you can unlock 1 problem per day for each division, and these days is enough for a person to implement the code, write it and try different ways in attacking the problems. @admin please consider this request of changing the format of Long Challenge.

6 Likes

Point 1. The MOSS is not strong enough

Well, this issue will be faced everywhere. No matter what site, if it organizes a coding contest spanning several days people will cheat. Just because some group of 2-4 star people cheat does not mean we should not hold the contest.

But, the point is, people who would ACTUALLY want to learn would participate in it anyway, even if it’s unrated, for the sake of just enjoying the art of problem solving !

Rating is a motivation. That’s a fact.

Making it rated just dilutes the contest or the ranklist

You are acting as if 80% of people cheat. People do cheat in long, and the quantity is pretty high I agree, but if we see the quantity v/s participation then it falls in the expected margin.

IMO the only real concern is when high rated users cheat because at that rating every difference in rank counts. But their numbers are not very high and usually community reports them automatically.

cuz evidently most foreigners who are actually world class pros are quite openly against CC as a platform

Proof please. And if you do not have proof for this, then take shame in yourself as well. Theres a limit of exaggeration man! Just because you do not like something about CC means now world class foreigners also dont like CC ?

rather than just 2 HUGELY UNBALANCED contest every month

Most of the problems are not that hard in short contests. Its mostly that people need more time to think of their solutions. Which is essentially the entire point of having short contests - to come up with solution quickly.

Otherwise, I mean, what’s the point? It just reveals Codechef to be evidently a bad platform day by day, doesn’t it?

The paragraph above it said that why people dont participate in short contest. And this line says that codechef is deteriorating day by day. I do not see any connection.

But that’s not quite what Directi made Codechef for,( right Anup Kalbalia?), when they had the motive to increase the awareness of programming amongst people of India to do better in IOI/ICPC,right?

We can give people the tools. How they use it is purely onto them. As we say, “You can get a horse to the lake, but cannot make it drink.”

And like this you expect people from India to #GoForGold? LOL. Take that.

And with these poor arguments you think of removing the long contest altogether? LOL. Take that.

123 Likes

1 :heart: is too less for this post. Damn, I wish I can like a post multiple times!

35 Likes

Love you 3000

Agreed 100%. The effort given to solve in long challenge is directly proportionate to the motivation of the rating. Even if it’s a hard problem, we tend to spare even a day for it, just to see a +10. That’s happiness for me and many more.

6 Likes

@vijju123 everything is ok, but i want to report that people have formed groups, and some of them try every possible way to get the solution, a certain time ago, a person called me on telegram and asked how to solve a problem, group cheating have been increased a lot. please look after the issue.

Yes… And one suggestion the each day a new problem will be unlocked of lower difficulty than previous one…:slight_smile:

Means that on Day 1 we start with hardest problem of the set?

Nah. Because I feel current format is more friendly to people who can spare only 2-3 days for the contest (whether at beginning or at end). I’d ideally not want more restrictions.

15 Likes

oh yes…i forget that many people only participate of first 4 5 days :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thats true.

But frankly, they are harming themselves only. Begging for logic, test cases, they will be those guys who would be stuck at 3 star even after years in competitive coding.

Apart from that, I am not allowed to reveal the things going on internally to tackle this issue, but yeah, you can always report any user at help@codechef.com for review.

9 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

1 Like

I think bro instead of posting these issues by many others , u have two option either u send cc proofs (strong proofs) or stop replying to those people who asks sol.
PS : One thing if u know that there are some grps then why u joined?

1 Like

oh this hit me hard :pensive::sweat: But trying to go one level up ! :innocent:

1 Like

I m also 3 star now @vijju123 :no_mouth:

Then buckle up and and correct your strategy :slight_smile: