RAISINS : Feb 2020 Long Challenge doubt

Bro in real , 1 1 0 is actually a answer and not a loop hole. Because in question we can minimise value of R , so this is just because of weak testcase and nothing else.

1 Like

for a simple question on codechef, there are atleast 10 Test case, and this is a challenge question then obviously there should be some what 10+ test cases? right, so, providing 2 same output canā€™t give you an AC right? it would have given you AC for subtask 1 (a).
i got your point, but this is what i am saying!

1 Like

Maybe noone could optimise the solution to that level author was asking and as scoring is relative, this terrible thing happened. There might not be any problem with the testcases. It was us.

There are a few things you guys donā€™t seem to get.
1/ a ā€œchallenge problemā€ is, on codechef, just another way of saying an ā€œoptimization problem with no known exact algorithm that would run fast enoughā€. The trick is not too ā€œsolve the problemā€, but to ā€œefficiently solve the problemā€. Thereā€™s always an easy way to get some points, but what you should want is more than that.
2/ a challenge problem should usually be a tie breaker, replacing the usual ā€œtime penaltyā€. So itā€™s not shocking to have such a low difference in terms of points. Actually, with this design, you kind of ensure that it wonā€™t be more than a tie breaker.

The challenge Raisins was a perfect fit for the purpose.

The only problem one could talk about is the fact that having all scores between 99 and 100 gives poor UI, but one could see that as a quick hack in order to have a proper tie breaker while still using the usual system.

9 Likes

It was not, you can easily see that there are too many (scattered) raisins for you to lower the convex hull that much :pensive:

7 Likes

no. why? this is not fair. after seeing this solution, all of my struggle is getting mud.:sob: :sob:

I donā€™t see any submission to this problem from your side so where did you made all the struggle ?

4 Likes

I submit problem, when i get AC in my computer IDE.
I tried to solve this problem but i didnā€™t able to solve the problem with proper output.
So, I didnā€™t submit it.

Many people are saying that they struggle too much but after seeing solution they are claiming that their struggle get into mud etc .:neutral_face:

I want to add that the people who got AC by just printing test case output also have work hard for this problem thatā€™s why they got AC.:slightly_smiling_face:
If solution is easier then why all people donā€™t get AC :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

read the problem carefully and you will notice that output is actually the changes we are doing on raisins and the one with the least area gets highest points so people who did 1 1 0 actually did nothing on the raisins and thus get AC

Hey @winnerfool Did you see this solution?
CodeChef: Practical coding for everyone
It is not the proper input or output.

@ifrunruhin
He submitted when contest was ended.

are you sure?
65% accuracy?? with 2000+ submissions on challenge problem?
other than this question, not even easiest one touch that accuracy.
if this long challenge would have been few more days, obviously this question would have come on top.

The first thing to do in a challenge problem is to do the bare minimum to just satisfy the output conditions and constraints. Last timeā€™s problem had the same logic to score at least a few points and this time too. The only difference being that this time the bare minimum logic was doing nothing. You can obviously implement better strategies like dividing into 1024 parts, bringing all raisins in the middle for each row and column, but in this problem with randomised input, the results just donā€™t change much.
Still, itā€™s not that getting an AC in the challenge is everything. Iā€™ve seen people with AC but 0 points. So yeah, you canā€™t just output anything.

4 Likes

It is a programming contest, not a contest of printing output.

1 Like

The only condition for getting the challenge problem wrong is either a runtime error, tle or outputting more that q as more than 1024, arenā€™t all of them are fairly unlikely?

1 Like

It is not a contest of printing the output by using TEXT.

Totally agree with @anand873šŸ™ŒšŸ»

2 Likes

one of the hardest challenge problems ever given disagrees

a) It is a valid output. He divided the cake into 3 parts and then shifted 3 times.
b) He got 0 points though, so whatā€™s the point in discussing these solutions?

You get points for optimisation, not just doing any valid move.

4 Likes