Rating of contest participants, who made an attempt, but solved 0 problems

SnackDown 2021 - Online Pre-Elimination has just ended. I see that there were some participants, who made unsuccessful submissions and finished the contest with 0 solved problems. These participants are not present in the scoreboard and probably won’t get any update of their rating. Is this desired/expected?

If someone made submission, the user is liable to get a rating change (positive or negative), solving zero question is equivalent to getting the last rank, and they can’t be shown on leaderboard because unlike codeforces, codechef does’nt shows penalties of problems which were’nt solved by that particular user.

2 Likes

If someone made submission, the user is liable to get a rating change (positive or negative), solving zero question is equivalent to getting the last rank

Thanks! I checked the older Code Senso contest and found a few people with 0 accepted solutions. They received a big negative rating delta. So you are right and this makes sense.

BTW, are people considered to be participants if they just read problem statements during a contest, but don’t try to submit any solutions?

they can’t be shown on leaderboard because unlike codeforces, codechef does’nt shows penalties of problems which were’nt solved by that particular user.

I think that this is unfortunate and rather confusing. It would be nice to know the total number of contest participants. Because this would allow people to estimate whether they made it in the top 10% / 20% / 50% or not.

Also those, who ended up at the very bottom of the leaderboard with 1 solved problem, may feel a bit better (if they know that they at least did a somewhat better job than a bunch of others, who solved nothing).

Yeah I agree with you, newbies won’t be disappointed with their rank and feel motivated,
and BTW it’s fine to read problems even if u aren’t participating, the participation counts when u hit the submit button unless nope.

1 Like