Regarding discussion of May19 problems

Hi,

Recently I have observed a lot of spike in activity regarding discussing/clarifying problems of May Long. Please note that discussion forum is NOT a place to do that while contest is live. If you are genuinely confused by the statement then ask in the comment section of the respective problem. Taking hints/clarifications/explanations from other contestants comes under “discussion” of the problem which is not allowed by Code of Conduct and you might face termination of your discourse account should you not follow the rules.

Regards
@vijju123

8 Likes

You are not allowed to impose random ad hoc rules :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I agree that its unethical to ask in discussion forum during contest
but many of them are doing that coz they are not getting ans on prob page.
I myself faced this issue many times. It happened in last long too. I asked whether graph is directed or not in SUBREM prob page on very 1st day but did not get any reply from anyone till the end of the contest.
I realized that many people had the same doubt and when i saw a discussion on it. They got ignored too.
I know that they cannot ans every ques but they are answering none.
As last resort people ask here

5 Likes

I tried to answer most of the questions in the first days. So this was not the cause in may long … I guess problems are so interesting that contestants can’t wait to know how to solve them :slight_smile:
But seriously guys, you should try to solve the problems by yourselves, is more rewarding in that way.

7 Likes

@alei Problems are interesting but not for Div.-2 guys. They just got grilled . It is a very unbalanced contest for them and I’ll write a post soon about this. Even in Div-1, there are so few submissions .

There is a problem, which got leaked on internet,at many places, and hence got many submissions on Codechef, I would like to report it to codechef, where can I get their mail-Id?

6 Likes

I did not write this post immediately at start of May long. Almost 95% of the discussions had “Can you give me a hint for problem XXX.”

Whether setters answer comments or not, this cannot be allowed!!

2 Likes

@vijju123 I am not asking you to allow such nuisance either
just stating my experience

@alei not targeting anyone personally here
I understand its a hectic to read dozens(probably hundreds) of ques and most of them will be repeating as contestants cannot see others comments (am also not saying that they shld be able to see)

@anon55659401 jeez! this used to happen during every long but got escalated recently

1 Like

I don’t even understand the sample test cases of WTBTR… :cry: :cry: :cry: :sob: :sob: :sob:

3 Likes

Happens bro… Same used to happen with me a few months ago, you’ll gradually improve,don’t worry :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. “Problems are interesting but not for Div.-2. They just got grilled”, even if you don’t solve a problem, it can be interesting and enjoyable for you. I know it can be frustrating sometimes, but that’s how you learn and improve.
  2. Yes, I noticed that number of acs is smaller than other long challenges, and I was expecting a more smooth distribution. I guess we can discuss the balanceness after the contest finish.
  3. I don’t know where you can report that issue, but you can inform the setter in the comments section. Actually in the first day we got a similar issue, and inmediatly changed the problem for a new one. Of course the contest is almost over, and we can’t do that now.
4 Likes

Just having less submissions doesn’t imply that contest is hard, most of my friends are performing quite well…And the main reason for less submissions is that people are having their exams now( I agree contest is a bit hard but not too much, provided you are given 10 days)… and yeah I can guarantee that you will learn a lot if you upsolve this contest. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yep,I guess that is because Abdullah is performing too well :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue:
Nope,I have no complaints with the toughness of Longs , especially being in Div.-1,I have no right to complain :stuck_out_tongue:
But the contest of div.-2 is really unbalanced, there is a problem in div.-2 which is not in div.-1 but it is harder than half of the problems of Div.-1, that’s what I call imbalance.

Yup, even I couldn’t submit cuz of exams, but I am ready with solution to 3 problems in Div.-1, going to submit them soon :slight_smile:

Seems like, even solving 4 problems completely this time is enough to get top-30 rank in Div.-1 :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

3 problems :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:
I wish I were u…
I could only solve 2…
I have some ideas for 3rd one but m not trying looking at number of submissions as that idea seems so obvious to me…

2 Likes

If I participate in this long I have to gain ranks by partial marks :rofl::rofl: .

2 Likes

@anon13835146 @l_returns People passionate about decreasing their rating can participate in this Long :laughing::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I am already in…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

And I wish I were you::heart_eyes:

1 Like

Yes, don’t worry, that idea is wrong, I tried it as well . You need not test :joy::grin: