S07E09 - Editorial

It doesn’t matter if it was mentioned in the explanation, most of us rely on the question statement and no where the words like “permutating” or “reordering” of the array was mentioned, makes the question statement way too ambiguous.
Also the logic we concluded to after reading the statement was giving same answer to the sample test cases which gives us more reason not to read the explanation and move directly to the coding part, after all in such contest your speed matters.
It was a mistake by the authorities and they should at least accept this and apologize :expressionless:.

6 Likes

well that was about the sh*ttiest framed question I have seen in a long long looong freaking time. I don’t know if the people defending the writers saying “reordering was clearly mentioned in the test case explanation” realize that we usually only go to the explanations if there is an aspect of the problem statement itself we haven’t understood, or if the answer our solution creates for one of the given pretests is different than the given sample output. But neither was the case this time, both sample tests yield the same answer without rearranging as they do with sorting, there was no way to know that rearranging was allowed.

It is disheartening to see that the setters were more concerned with the sitcom references than the actual problem statement…

6 Likes

You are right @costheta_z. Noone prefers reading sample explanation if the problem is easy to him/her.

6 Likes

Sometimes problem statement is written incomplete by purpose,to misguided the participants…

On a positive note, take it as a lesson, and from next time see the explanations as well, it will hardly take 1 minute.

Also , I can see that you solve only one problem, that means you had enough time to solve remainin problems… You have great speed…
Better luck next time bro…

Wtf !! Problem statement are written incomplete with purpose lol. Is it a guessing contest ?

No I won’t care reading the sample explanation from next time too. But you please care writing the statements clear if you write any contest in furure.

P.S.: I don’t have a gadget or Doraemon :joy:

7 Likes

I see a true potential of transforming into Nobita in you. Let me boil it down, the purpose of a problem statement is to explain what we are allowed to do to reach the answer, unless of course it is a Codeforces April fool’s contest, but this platform isn’t cf and this clearly isn’t April. I guess find better defences eh!

5 Likes

https://www.codechef.com/viewsolution/54543165

someone please do visit the link and letme know my error

I don’t think Doraemon can provide this particular Nobita with the ability to accept the mistake :joy:

2 Likes

I’ll ignore from now… Do what’s best for you… Anyway I’m not the author of the problem. So why the F I’m explaining…

bro please see my post I am bit confused

Oh I think you’ll find yourself ignorant enough already :joy:, read your other replies btw - belittling people for being stuck at a badly formed problem statement? Not a classy one are ya pal!

2 Likes

Well this is beyond my logic and stupid at it’s best, making complex statement is something I can understand (which is also wrong) but missing some important aspect on purpose just to misguide people is wrong on all level. You supporting this is beyond my understanding.
Even Codechef has an habit of adding obscure edge cases on purpose which in this case is n == 1 pointed by all the coders out here. Which I guess is morally right by you because this is what the problem setter do to make the contest interesting, isn’t it? :man_shrugging:
And yes I have solved only one task in this contest because I got stuck on this problem and some of us do not skip a task until we solve it.
And not reading explanations in not something I should take as a lesson, but making a statement more concise and to the point is what Codechef should take as a lesson.

2 Likes

int overflow, use long long.

array[N-1]*N

will cross int limits

whats wrong with this answer guys, its working fine with any test case i check.
https://www.codechef.com/viewsolution/54540846

Thank you so much

Same

2 Likes

wtf … it was nowhere mentioned that order can be changed …my 3hour wasted + got a negative delta …thnx nsut and codechef

4 Likes

very bad question statement ,wasted more than an hour on this and then tried changing order too and it got accepted … do you guys not a question reviewer ?

1 Like

@admin There were no clarifications provided to my questions, moreover, the problem statements misses to mention that reordering is possible! I and many others have wasted hours on this, gotten -150 delta additionally, just because of an incomplete problem statement. Please look into this, make this contest unrated. Never going to give a contest from NSUT

1 Like

** Among all possible ways in which the N neighbours start the game, find the maximum time until the bowl is dropped.**
I read this line carefully after 6 WA.