S07E09 - Editorial

Adding a word like “permute”, “arrange”, “reorder” would make this question a 2 min speedrun for me otherwise I would be banging my head over why this is failing.

4 Likes

Although I read this line when I tried to solve the problem for the very first time,
I misunderstood it in this way →
You are given a particular order. You have to pick a person from where you will start the process so that time can be maximized.

Also,
As @ssvb said above, if someone comments or mail them about the problem, they should immediately take an action ( like codeforces rounds ) and if necessary should make an announcement asap.

@admin , I have got -138 in this round because the problem statement was not clear. The setters didn’t even reply to the clarification requests of the participants. This is very very unfair.

Please make this contest unrated. This was the second problem in Div 2 round and it has affected a large number of participants. For a very similar case on Codeforces Dashboard - Codeforces Round 682 (Div. 2) - Codeforces, the round was made unrated.

We expect you to be fair and make the round unrated as it really has affected the performance of a lot of participants.

Yes, because of the same reason I got -138 in the round :frowning: . @admin , please make this contest unrated, it has affected a large number of participants.

I got -138 due to this issue :frowning: . This contest should ideally be made unrated because the setters didn’t even reply to clarification requests from the participants.

But this is CodeChef and not Codeforces, I don’t think they will make this round unrated.
@admin , please take care that such shitty statements are not allowed in rated contests.

Yes, it was actually very poorly framed, even I got 5 WA because of it , thinking we can only select the starting element for bowl in the array

Yes and this was exactly my logic, thinking how can the order of the array elements change , resulting in 5 WA and costing me 2 hours.
The problem statement was poorly

changeed int a[n] to long long a[n] and got correct answer, how does that make sense contraints are clearly 0≤A[i]≤10^6, does any one know, cant believe just cause of this i lost 100pts

you are not alone bro

1 Like

Poor framing of question
Was busy in finding the minimum and the indices of the minimum value then the max difference between two consecutive min value indices so that the time can be maximised.
:unamused::unamused:

1 Like

The order will matter in this case : a = 2, 0, 2, 2, 0, 2

1 Like

It was not mentioned to change the order of array, but still many people done in exactly same manner. RIP to all cheaters!!

1 Like

True @animeshmaru1

Dude, I lost 100+ points rating…
I was looking at it over 1hr 30 mins and could not figure the AC solution…and gave up the remaining problems too
The PROBLEM should have explained CLEARLY imo…

1 Like

same here (got 6 WA)

Seriously, do you guys not read statement after making problem statement, it was no where mentioned that order of people can be changed.

1 Like

The problem statement of this problem was wrong. There was no mention of player rearranging themselves in before the game. Only after reading the sample testcase explanation, one might think that it really is the trick. Even if someone were to read the sample explanation, the first they would have is “maybe the explanation wants to say something else with the word ‘order’, because the statement mentions nothing like that”. Hence this confusion results in many competitors getting penalties without them being at fault.

3 Likes

Very loose framed and less information about the problem. Looping for 3hrs to find the bug, because I am not considering rearrangement after any neighbor dropped the bowl. Got 7 WA’s for the same.
Problems of this kind demoralize the contestants and contestant quits to solve further.
Codechef must have to take care for errors like this.

1 Like

https://www.codechef.com/submit/complete/54609821
solution is same as in Editorial but why WA

Looks like an integer overflow. The answer does not fit in a 32-bit variable, because it can be up to 10^6 \cdot 10^5 in the worst case.

2 Likes