Something interesting about Amritapuri Regional 2014

EDIT:

Final rankings along with team name and college name - http://www.wncc-iitb.org/acmonlineresults/

(Courtesy: Web and Coding Club - IIT Bombay )

Unofficial List of teams who are first in their college and may be selected in the remaining empty slots - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1jcPqsGCt_uN0tXWXktZzU5VG8/view

(Courtesy: roman28 )

I ran a script that determines the number of unique colleges and the total number of teams participating in the Online Round of ACM-ICPC Amritapuri this year. It turns out that there are 199 unique colleges participating.

No. of teams registered = 1859

No. of teams accepted = 1459 (uptil October 8, 2014)

No. of registered colleges = 199

No. of colleges whose atleast 1 team is accepted = 168

No. of slots for regional = 200

This means, every team is basically competing against other teams of their college only, by pigeonhole principle.
(The pigeonhole principle states that if n items are put into m containers, with n > m, then at least one container must contain more than one item.)

So, even if a team’s rank is in the lower 1000’s, but if they are first in their college, they will definitely qualify for the regional, as rules state that the best ranked team from every college will be picked first and if slots are remaining, then more teams will be picked based on certain criteria that may vary from region to region.

On the other hand, as we all know, there will be very stiff competition in colleges like IIIT Hyderabad, which has 191 teams competing at the Amritapuri Online Round.

23 Likes

www.wncc-iitb.org/acmonlineresults/
you can check here .

5 Likes

There might be a college from where no team solves atleast one problem. This is also one criteria to qualify :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This will be beneficial to some of the teams in top ranks, who are 2nd or 3rd in their institute, as the chances of them getting selected will improve.

A few points worth considering:

1. That is what happens in most international competitions, even in Olympics. Same happens at the world finals as well, or else all the Indian teams have to compete with all the teams in the world to get a seat at the world finals.

2. Is 1859 the total number of accepted teams? The number of accepted teams may be less than this.

3. Also there may be some teams who have not been able to solve any problem. We believe they will not be considered.

4. The number of slots are 200+. Which may give some more top performing teams from some colleges a chance.

2 Likes

No. of teams registered - 1859

No. of teams accepted - 1317

Also, the Amritapuri rules state that they wont be taking more than 200 teams this year as there were not more than 200 institutions that competed last year as well.

2 Likes

Can you please share your script or maybe run it again to check the number of colleges whose atleast 1 team is accepted.

Awesome job! We solved 1 question. What are the chances of getting selected? Also when will the official result be declared??

@thespacedude : What is your team name/ID?

@roman28 : Do you still need it? It is very crude and unorganised. I can share it with you if you want though :slight_smile:

@wittyceaser please share it through ideone

Total teams - SodEtT - Online Python Interpreter & Debugging Tool - Ideone.com

All colleges - hAhz9J - Online Python Interpreter & Debugging Tool - Ideone.com

No. of teams accepted - LRzYpI - Online Python Interpreter & Debugging Tool - Ideone.com

page.txt - https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1w2HsSwrpEiSEg4ZE5yX2lkWk0/view?usp=sharing

The page.txt file is old now. The updated page is at http://icpc.baylor.edu/regionals/finder/asia-amritapuri-first-round-2014/reservations .

Well, I could have used requests to get the page and then parse it, but then, I had saved the required part on my local machine and was too lazy to do that part :stuck_out_tongue:

@wittyceaser:
Our Team Name: LOL.

We did solve 1 question. So hopefully we will get called for the Regionals :slight_smile:

Also we are the only team from our college participating in Amritapuri Online Round.

Check out the links I’ve posted as part of the edit.

thanks wittyceaser for sharing your codes