TIME FOR SOLVING PROBLEM

Let say I am solving problem X on any platform without time limit of contest and trying very hard to solve it, though I couldn’t get it. So my doubt here is that how much time I must give to particular problem? And also what is maximum time that I should pay for particular problem before learning it from editorial?

3 Likes

it totally depends upon you and the problem, if the problem is hard and you think that you have an idea to solve it then go for some 15 or 30 minutes.

if you had not meet with that type of problem i would consider leaving that problem and moving to other

edit:

if you are not in a contest then go to googlebaba and learn about that topic

2 Likes

No lmao, if you have not solved that type of problem before, Google stuff to learn how to solve that type of problem. Don’t run away or you’ll never learn anything new.

2 Likes

oh i thought that it is contest situation and there is a little time to play :slight_smile:

SOMETIMES we give 4 to 5 days also to a problem I think lastly at max I gave 7 days solving ENCODING PROBLEM OF AUGUST LONG CHALLENGE 2019 . The more you will be patient the more you will learn

2 Likes

I gave max 9 days to a prob in may long and was unable to solve it

2 Likes

i’m still not able to solve the problems of OCT Long.
and its 7th day.

I gave it 1 day I guess because implementation was rather heavy for me. I would advice the OP to give extra time only if its a long contest, else no, not a good practice as most of the contests out there are short contests, those short contest skills should be be developed as well.

2 Likes

Bro I am very weak at this whenever i get a problem anywhere i start feeling like its a long chall problem, I will solvve it within 2-3 days and due to this i can’t perform even avg in short contests

2 Likes

Yup, I know, long makes you weak for actual short contests, thats why since June, I have been practicing short more and kind of ignoring Longs.

1 Like

Good practice bro , I am feeling very low for icpc online test

1 Like

Please mention, "practicing short (unrated) " .

1 Like

You will do good :slight_smile:

I’ll do the same, I’ll focus on short contest more from now…I think I have done enough long challenges now. I seriously need to increase my speed

3 Likes

You’ll do great :slight_smile: If you ever see a team contest on codechef, then ping me, I’ll join your team :slight_smile:

Sure thing😁

20 char

2 Likes