Time Limit for FCTRE isn't correct for Python

I am pretty sure that time limit for FCTRE (Factor Tree) in the ongoing contest April Long Challenge isn’t set properly for python.
I would like the problem setter or tester or any authority to kindly try and run an exact code on Python and then see if it executes successfully within the time bounds. Because I am confident enough that my code is pretty optimal and it should work fine if written in C++/C. So, according to me there shouldn’t be any code that runs in Python as per the current time bounds, if it exists then I would love to see such a solution after the contest in the editorial.

@vijju123 @dvyn01

5 Likes

In some codes, python may work upto 187 times slower than an equivalent c++ code. It is difficult to accurately decide how much time python needs and is set to *5 by default on all questions. Sometimes, you need to use c++.

3 Likes

Agreed, I am facing the same issue.

Atleast there should exist a solution and if not there’s not point keeping that language for a particular problem, people wont waste time trying to get AC for that problem in that language. If its a tough problem that is to be solved only in C++, then keep only C++ na.

1 Like

You the PYPY3 compiler maybe?

@coder_in_me Listen, first I am really overwhelmed that you are pretty sure that your code is optimal. How can you be sure?
What defines optimality of your code, if you are to say time-complexity, well thats a rough measure and its theoretical.
In addition to time-complexity, your codes robustness, speed also depends strongly upon what you have used and in python as everything is an object, there is a ready-made functions to do everything, you need to be careful when using any pre-defined functions in python because there is always a high performance overhead associated with it.

On the other hand, as @everule1 stated the problem with Python programs being slower but on contrary it doesn’t mean you cannot have an optimal solution which can run under the given limits to get AC but it will still be slower than C++.

Don’t claim that your solution is optimal and fast enough until you have strongly bench-marked your code by profiling it, looking at the machine code generated by your interpreter and optimising it because there is always a high probability of efficient code in a particular programming language then the code you have written.

So, benchmark your code first, then claim what you are saying because you are making a strong argument without any supporting evidence.

1 Like

I have checked everything, if there exists a solutions just post it after the contest thats it.

I am facing the same issue.
If there is no AC solution yet for all test cases in Python then Please try considering if the time limits set are ok or not
In my case only first subtask is giving AC rest are TLE

Yes, even I am facing the same issue.
For my code atleast task 2 should pass.
@admin please look into this matter.

Ya @admin needs to look into this, there’s some serious issues with time limit for this problem

I don’t think it is necessary to have a jury’s solution in all allowed languages. Even at the ICPC World Finals, Python is allowed as a language but there is no multiplier and the jury DOES NOT GUARANTEE that a solution in Python exists. They only guarantee a solution in C++, Java and Kotlin if I recall correctly.