Author: iceknight1093
Tester: apoorv_me
Editorialist: iceknight1093

DIFFICULTY:

TBD

PREREQUISITES:

Combinatorics

PROBLEM:

An array is called prefix-balanced if, for each of its prefixes, no two elements’ frequencies differ by more than 1.
You’re given N and M.
Find the number prefix-balanced arrays of length N, with elements from 1 to M.

EXPLANATION:

The very first thing we need to do is figure out how to characterize a prefix-balanced array.

Let S_A denote the set of elements present in A.
Then, observe that for any pair of elements x, y \in S_A:

• The second occurrence of x must be only after the first occurrence of y; otherwise at the point when x occurs twice the prefix will end up unbalanced.
  • The third occurrence of x must be only after the second occurrence of y, for the same reason.
    \vdots
  • The k-th occurrence of x must be only after the (k-1)-th occurrence of y.

In simpler terms, every element must occur once before any element occurs twice, every element must occur twice before any element occurs thrice, and so on.
Let K = |S_A|. Then, the above condition is only possible if:

• The first K elements are all distinct, i.e, a rearrangement of the elements of S_A.
  • The next K elements are distinct, i.e, a rearrangement of S_A (although a different rearrangement can be chosen).
    \vdots

Essentially, the array can be broken up into blocks of size K (except maybe the last block, which can have smaller size), and within each block the elements must be distinct.

We can use this characterization to count the number of prefix-balanced arrays.

• First, let’s fix K, the size of S_A. This is an integer between 1 and N.
  • Next, let’s fix the K elements of S_A. For this, we can choose any K integers from \{1, 2, \ldots, M\}, giving us \binom{M}{K} choices in total.
  • Recall that we broke up the array into several blocks of size K, and one with size (maybe) less than K.
    Suppose there are B_K blocks of size K. Note that:
    • B_K will be equal to \left\lfloor \frac{N}{K} \right\rfloor.
    • Within each of these K-sized blocks, any rearrangement of the elements of S_A can be chosen. There are K! rearrangements.
    • With B_K blocks, the total number of possibilities is thus (K!)^{B_K}.
  • That leaves us with the last block, of size \lt K (in particular, its size will equal (N\bmod K), the remainder when N is divided by K).
    Let y_K = (N\bmod K). We can choose y elements out of the K we have, then arrange them in y! orders; for a total of \binom{K}{y}y! ways.

The final answer is obtained by just summing this up for all K \leq N, giving

\sum_{K=1}^N \binom{M}{K} \left(K!\right)^{B_K} \cdot \binom{K}{y_K} \left(y_K\right)!

where B_K = \left\lfloor \frac{N}{K} \right\rfloor and y_K = (N\bmod K).

Binomial coefficients can be computed in constant time if factorials and inverse factorials are precomputed, and (K!)^{B_K} can be computed in \mathcal{O}(\log B_K) (which is \mathcal{O}(\log N) using binary exponentiation.
This gives a solution in \mathcal{O}(N\log N) time.

TIME COMPLEXITY:

\mathcal{O}(N\log N) per testcase.

CODE:

Editorialist's code (Python)
mod = 998244353
N = 500005
fac = [1]*N
for i in range(1, N): fac[i] = fac[i-1] * i % mod
inv = fac[:]
inv[-1] = pow(fac[-1], mod-2, mod)
for i in reversed(range(N-1)): inv[i] = inv[i+1] * (i+1) % mod
def C(n, r):
    if r < 0 or n < r: return 0
    return fac[n] * inv[r] % mod * inv[n-r] % mod

for _ in range(int(input())):
    n, m = map(int, input().split())
    ans = 0
    for i in range(1, n+1):
        blocks = n//i
        rem = n%i
        choices = C(m, i) * pow(fac[i], blocks, mod) % mod
        choices = choices * C(i, rem) % mod * fac[rem] % mod
        ans += choices
    print(ans % mod)
1 Like

I’m so dumb I literally did (K!) * B_{k}. This is so freaking sad …:frowning: By the way can someone recommend me similar problems please?? where can I find them??