UFDS Mentoring Program

Hey all!

Hope you’re doing well!

A couple of friends and I are looking to give back a little to the competitive programming community. For this reason, we’ve decided to start a small mentoring program! We’ve tested out a few mentoring programs in the past, and we think we’re now ready to apply what we’ve learnt, to help other people learn.

If you join the program, we’ll help you by:

• Selecting problems to practice with
  • Providing hints to solve problems in practice
  • Discussing problems after a contest
  • Recommending similar problems (if you’d like to reinforce a trick/observation)
  • Providing debugging assistance
  • Finding tutorials for classical techniques
  • Hosting sessions to teach/discuss classical techniques
  • Hosting sessions to teach/discuss specific problems

You can specify additional things you might need help with in the form, and we’ll try our best to help you.

If you think you’d benefit from mentoring, please apply in the form here. We’re using a form so that we can:

1. Limit the number of people we can take (so that mentorship is effective)
  2. Choose people who are passionate about competitive programming and dedicated to working hard.

Please fill out the form if you’d like to join this program! We’ll be hosting it using a Discord server.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask below!

21 Likes

Hey all,

Since we’re receiving a lot of questions about eligibility and related concerns, we just wanted to clarify a few details below:

• There is no age restriction for eligibility.
  • There is no rating requirement for eligibility.
  • You do need a Discord account in order to participate. Creating one is free, and we’ll be using a Discord server for communications, as we find it effective.
  • We will likely need to restrict the number of people we can help, in order to make the mentorship as effective as we can.
  • If you would like to update a detail on your form submission, please resubmit (instead of PMing us with corrections). We’ll look at the latest submission.

Some form submissions so far have invalid Discord usernames (i.e. are not in the format username#0123). If this is the case with your submission, please resubmit. We will not be able to invite you to the server otherwise.

If you’re looking to apply, please apply on or before Wednesday, the 4th of November 2020. If more space opens up in the future, we might open up the application once again in the future.

As before, please let us know if you have any further questions!

12 Likes

Thankyou for helping the community !!

2 Likes

When it is going to be started and what will be its timing.?? Thanks as lot for this initiative.

1 Like

The form is open until Wednesday, the 4th of November. We should be able to add mentees to the server by Sunday, the 8th of November.

The community will be open 24/7, so you can ask for help at any time you need on the server. Mentors will be online whenever possible.

4 Likes

Thanks

There are no further updates on this.

We’ve had a very large number of applications (about 4-5x what we expected). In order to account for this, we’ve increased the number of mentees to the absolute maximum we can possibly handle without overloading ourselves or compromising on mentorship quality (which is still our primary goal).

Another change we’ve made is to invite all applicants to the main server, but create mentee-specific channels for us to focus on. If you’re invited to the main server, we ask that you join and help out others. By helping out others, we’ll increase your contribution level (and then, when mentee spots open up, we’ll use contribution level to prioritise members).

We apologise for the delay. We’ve sent out the first round of emails a few minutes ago, and we’ll send out further emails over the coming days.

Thanks!

1 Like

Most applicants should have received an email by now with some more details. If you haven’t, please feel free to private message me.

Thanks!

Can I fill the form now?I was not aware of this earlier

Sure, the form has been reopened.

Please note that no mentorship slots are currently available, however, when mentorship slots are available in the future, we will prioritise people by their contribution on the server and willingness to help others. As such, we encourage you to collaborate and communicate with the others on the server!

1 Like

I came to know about this post today can i apply now please help

The UFDS Mentoring 2022 program is now open for applications, check out the new thread: UFDS Mentoring 2022

1 Like