Using publicly available code for long contest

I am not sure if I’m giving out too much information but for one of the questions in the long contest, I needed to use the segment tree data structure. So I copied the code from GeeksForGeeks and modified it to suit my needs.

If someone else has also used the code from this site, then his and my codes might be similar enough for MOSS to consider it as cheating.

What can I do about this?

1 Like

Nothing…Hope that they do consider it and if they don’t then all your AC submissions(you read it right…) will be disqualified…

1 Like

As far as I know, they should contact you to describe why your code is similar, so if what you described is the case they will cancel the disqualification…

2 Likes

You should mention in your code that you copied the implementation part of segment tree from geeksforgeeks…Otherwise your ratings could be decreased…

1 Like

I don’t think that happens. I did the same for a problem before. Nothing happened because of that.

@admin

I have also taken help from many online sources in a few contests but did not gave proper attribution.
But as I did not know this( I should have), I will try to give proper attributions in my future submissions.

So if @admin can clarify how we should give attribution (like mentioning website in comments or something else), it would be of great help.

So I’ve submitted the code and am hoping for the best.

Hey Sampritipanda, As long as you have given proper attribution to the source in your code, you will not face any trouble. Because, as per our Code Of Conduct, “Taking help or using a third party code is not bad. Passing it off as your own is. If you are taking your code from some other source, it is expected that you give the due attribution to the source in your code. It is kind of mandatory.”

@admin

I have also taken help from many online sources in a few contests but did not gave proper attribution.
But as I did not know this, I will try to give proper attributions in my future submissions.

So if @admin can clarify how we should give attribution (like mentioning website in comments or something else), it would be of great help.

1 Like

@admin: some example how to do that properly would be really nice…

For example fast I/O is often used but I never saw some attribution…

1 Like

Why the downvotes?