What is the benefit of competing in contest? Am I good enough to compete ? I have fear of competition

I think competitive programming is the best place to get over the fear of failure. You just cannot become better without failing. There is not competitive programmer with always positive rating gain, or all solution being AC. In fact what could be better to try your heart out behind an anonymous handle where no one knows who you are. If you wish you can remain anonymous as long as you want (but when you become better competitive programming stalkers like me will find you and ask our doubts :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:). Just go for it, there is nothing to lose anyway but a whole awesome set of knowledge to gain.

9 Likes

Yes i like coding and thanks a lot for guiding .

2 Likes

There is a contest named long challenge on codechef.
It starts on 1st Friday of every month and lasts for 10 days.
Ranks are decided on the basis of score and time has no role in deciding ranks.
You can take your time as it won’t affect your ranking.
It will start on 1st of May.
You can give it a try.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot, :v: I will surely take part in that contest. :grinning:

Compete for participation streak instead of competing for rank and ratings :stuck_out_tongue: ( PS: I do that as well )
You will beat people easily as very few are consistent enough :slight_smile:
Also you will get 1000 laddus when you complete a year
Give your 100% in each contest though.
Participate in all three contests of codechef every month. ( 36 contests per year)

Long challenge - Starts on first friday of every month
Cook off - Last second sunday of every month
Lunchtime - Last saturday of every month

After few ( 3-6) months you will be 5 star automatically. You don’t need to focus on how to win. Focus on participation streak and just focus on giving your 100% in each contest. Upsolve next 2 questions that you can’t solve during contest. Read editorials, ask for help on discuss.

3 idiots dialogue : Excellence ka picha karo . Success jhak marke tumhare piche ayegi :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

So true, thanks for your support how you maintain your consistency ?

1 Like

I have seen people skipping short contest for ratings ( That’s their own loss )
I have seen my friends skipping contest for dinner
I have seen students skipping contest for exams.

But I have decided that no matter what happens, I will not skip a contest :slight_smile:
And I will not focus on my rank at all.

5 Likes

cp has changed my life. :slight_smile: it improved my problem solving ability and after participating in contests i can think about solutions at glance which used to take hour before i started doing it . I am still learning and i hope that i become good at life with cp.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think that short contests teach us many things as quick thinking is what that matters while you are doing exams, olympiads or most online and on-site contests

2 Likes

wow Great decision :v:, I will also follow this kind of discipline.

1 Like

Skipping short contest is worse, even if they take your ratings away you shouldn’t miss them. Otherwise you will never excel short contests.

3 Likes

we will see :stuck_out_tongue:
We will check your profile for your participation streak. See you in long challenge.

2 Likes

yes, because at the end of the day skills matter a lot more than ratings :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Haha … ok I will definitely participate. See you there too . :smile:

1 Like

i feel CP as clash of super powers, just think of it as a game where everyone gets to show off their brain powers :innocent:,and Practices are like sharpening or better controlling ur skills .

Just start participating, I was also apprehensive just like you and now I can’t wait for new competitions.

If you got dinner or an exam you aren’t going to be able to focus on the problems anyways, which is the point of a contest, so what’s the point of losing ratings pointlessly?

I just controlled my fear of loosing just because of CP. Don’t afraid of failing and most important don’t be a rating digger if u really want to enjoy coding contests.

1 Like

Just to be clear, I don’t miss exams. Contest is always at night and exams are never conducted at night. People miss it for reading for exam. I focus during lectures so that I don’t have to spend time preparing for exam. And hence I can still do CP even if I have exams.

About focus issue,
That’s not the case with me. I can focus even if I am hungry. If you can’t focus you can google search on how to focus :sweat_smile:
Idk its solution because I never faced this issue.

People forget about the “competitive” in competitive programming.

2 Likes