Why so many posts about interviews/internships?

Hi everyone.

CodeChef is a competitive programming platform. I don’t understand why there are so many posts on CodeChef Discuss regarding interviews/internships/hiring tests.
As a CP enthusiast, I just want to ask/resolve doubts or talk about CP. Whenever I open discuss, I see a lot of threads regarding interviews/internships/hiring tests. How are these relevant to CP? Why is it being allowed? I don’t care about all this. I don’t think that posting stuff regarding them is appropriate here. Why not just talk about CP? Posts like this tend to be heavily downvoted on Codeforces.

Also, I used this account because many people would be offended by this post.

Please do something regarding this. To the one’s who make/comment on such threads, kindly do it somewhere else. To the moderators, please discourage users from creating such threads.

Thank you.

5 Likes

I think you have expressed a totally valid opinion and that you did it in a way that I do not see why it could be offensive to anyone. That is why I do not agree with you on the need to do it from an alternative account, moreover, I consider that this violation of the rules on your part devalues ​​any subsequent argument, however valid it may be. I suggest that you express your opinions in a respectful way (as you have done) but putting your signature on them, that would give them more relevance and credibility without any doubt.

Regarding the actions of the moderators, we do not have any instructions of discouraging threads related to hiring or internship related to the programming world.

Finally, like you, I also prefer threads that talk about CP.

4 Likes

Hi, this is my opinion and my side of things, I hope you will understand some of the points I make.

TL;DR : Have some empathy, what is not crucial to you can be super important to someone else.

Longer Version

I don’t understand why there are so many posts on CodeChef Discuss regarding interviews/internships/hiring tests.

Sure I do understand, it is a CP platform, but what it also is a unique community of I think people from India, what CodeForces is to Russian Speaking nationals CodeChef is to Indians, so due to that we have a lot of similar struggles be it in CP, or things like balancing the two while focusing on getting job ready while pursuing an academics degree, so it is totally fine for people imo to ask doubts on these topics as long as they tag their doubts properly in discussions or #placement and have relevant titles instead of spamming.

As a CP enthusiast, I just want to ask/resolve doubts or talk about CP. Whenever I open discuss, I see a lot of threads regarding interviews/internships/hiring tests. How are these relevant to CP?

Fair point, but you do have to understand it’s a community based medium and people are free to ask doubts on topics which concerns them, for e.g. a fraction of the people who started CP and even got good at it started because of placements, so while they contributed to the platform in form of helping others with doubts, would you find it wrong if such a candidate asks doubts once or twice if it is related to placements and his/her college group isn’t knowledgeable to answer his queries . Think about it.

To the one’s who make/comment on such threads, kindly do it somewhere else. To the moderators, please discourage users from creating such threads.

It’s a community not a WhatsApp group of you and bunch of your friends where you are the Admin, don’t try to make it like one, you like something ? Heart it and bookmark it. You don’t like something ? Maybe it’s not relevant to you and it helped someone else immensely, so what gives you the right to comment on that thing getting removed from the platform, maybe some empathy and ability to not being so self-centered is what can help you. World can need some empathy during these tough and uncertain times.

I don’t mean to offend you, but I would have downvoted this post if there was an option.

Thank You.

5 Likes

I will make it simpler for you. Some points to note-

1. There is no larger community exclusively for Indian candidates where they can inform about ongoing challenges/internships. Codeforces is not too relevant as if you get too many downvotes, you post will be not visible. So Codechef is the winner here.

Now why are we posting here?
I don’t know whether you are in Tier 1 institute or which year. But by any chance, if you are from Tier 3. You will get to know in your 3rd or 4th year why these are being posted. People want to explore more opportunities but they are never informed/unaware about such in such Tier 3 colleges. These community posts are boon for us atleast it gives us a chance to appear for test of companies.

Hope you got the point.

2 Likes

I’m sorry once again for using this account. I understand that this violates rules.
However, this reply proves that my topic was offensive to some people. You can disregard my points due to the violation. No worries.

Alright, I understand.

That’s great! We can both agree to the fact that there are a lot of non-CP threads.

Incorrect. CodeForces has ~9800 registered Russian users, but ~27000 registered Indian users.

Well, sure. I don’t think that anyone, including me has any issues with genuine doubts. But be honest. Don’t you think that there are many threads that are not tagged appropriately, and are excessively spammy? That is why I said “so many posts”.

Yes, definitely. As you said, people are free to ask doubts on any topic. However, this does not imply that they should spam. To reiterate, I have no problems whatsoever with genuine threads, but I dislike spam and don’t prefer seeing multiple threads on the same topic.

I don’t understand why it was necessary for you to be rude from here. I believe that I had been very polite all along. Anyway, I never said that they should be disallowed. I said that they should be discouraged. To be clear, I used the phrase “so many”.

Sure. By the way, I think that there should be an option to downvote posts, just like CodeForces. Spam is almost always hidden due to downvotes.

1 Like

Valid point. But what stops them from doing that in a proper manner?