Why the delay in posting editorials for the Long Challenge

Why are the editorials for the long challenge not posted within minutes of the end of the challenge? I assume that the editorials are written prior to rather than after the end of the challenge. If not, they should be. Completed editorials should be required as part of the acceptance of the challenge questions. Many of us expend a considerable amount of time in attempting to solve the challenge questions, and are very interested in the editorials, especially for questions we were unsuccessful in solving during the contest. The posting of code (annotated or not) is a poor substitute for an editorial with sufficient explanation to facilitate learning of the more sophisticated algorithms. This is an area where CodeChef definitely needs improvement.

9 Likes

This comes up after pretty much every contest :slight_smile:

I did some digging for answers last time, and made a note of these comments:

Editorials - why late?

3 Likes

Hi,

Completed editorials should be required as part of the acceptance of the challenge questions.

Setter does not necessarily write the editorial and hence this cannot be enforced.

I assume that the editorials are written prior to rather than after the end of the challenge.

Wrong.

Many of us expend a considerable amount of time in attempting to solve the challenge questions, and are very interested in the editorials, especially for questions we were unsuccessful in solving during the contest.

I understand. You are free to suggest and criticize in this regard. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Not criticising at all, i find certain editorials of Codechef contests more detailed than other coding platform editorials that is why they are worth the wait :grin: !
But yeah I would say like 24-48 hours is reasonable time to wait for the Editorials to be out :slight_smile:
If it exceeds that, it makes participants a bit impatient then.

2 Likes

In case of short Challenges, delay is natural.
But in case of Long Challenges, it is not.
Editorialist get good amount of time for the same.

Also, It might be better to divide editorial reponsibility among 2-3 editorialist in a contest.
Writing good quality editorials for that many problem is very hard for single editorialist

2 Likes

But in case of Long Challenges, it is not. Editorialist get good amount of time for the same.

Why? Cause the contest is of 10 days?

I disagree. Usually in problems for long contest there is a lot to explore, and I personally feel the problems used in long are more lengthier (code and idea wise) and different than those used in short contest.

It personally takes me 1 day to write editorial for easy problems, and 2-3 days for Medium and Hard problems. So I will definitely disagree that 10 days is more than sufficient for 11 problems.

5 Likes

Agree. Insufficient for single editorialist.

1 Like

But case of multiple editorialist is also not good. If you think that by dividing work among editorialists, quality will increase, then its not gonna happen. At most very minor improvement will be seen. Each editorialist has his own style of writing which is the most dominating factor in quality of editorial.

1 Like