Setter: Jeevan Jyot Singh
Tester: Manan Grover, Tejas Pandey
Editorialist: Kanhaiya Mohan

DIFFICULTY:

Simple

PREREQUISITES:

XOR operation

PROBLEM:

A (1-indexed) binary string S of length N is called an xor palindrome if the value of S_i βŠ• S_{(N+1-i)} is same for all 1 \leq i \leq N.

You are given a binary string S of length N. Determine if it is possible to rearrange it to form an xor palindrome or not.

QUICK EXPLANATION:

• For a string of odd length, the answer is YES.
  • For a string of even length, the answer is YES when the count of 0 is equal to the count of 1 or the counts of 0 and 1 are even.

EXPLANATION:

Observation

We can rearrange the string in any way. This means that the answer depends on the count of 0 and the count of 1 in the given string.

String is of odd length
Observation

The string would have a middle character at position i = (\frac{N}{2} +1). For this i, the value (N+1-i) = i. This means that irrespective of the value of S_i, S_i = S_{(N+1-i)} and S_i βŠ• S_{(N+1-i)} = 0.

If S_i βŠ• S_{(N+1-i)} = 0 for one value of i, we have to arrange the string such that S_i βŠ• S_{(N+1-i)} = 0 for all other i as well. Thus, we need to make S_i = S_{(N+1-i)} for all 1 \leq i \leq N.

Let X and Y denote the counts of 0 and 1 in the original string respectively. Since the length of the string (N) is odd, and X+Y=N, one number amongst X and Y is odd and the other is even.

In this case, we can always find an arrangement leading to an xor palindrome. How?

Suppose X is odd. We place all X zeros together. Now, since Y is even, \frac{Y}{2} is an integer. We can place \frac{Y}{2} ones at the beginning of the string and the remaining \frac{Y}{2} ones at the end of the string. This way, S_i βŠ• S_{(N+1-i)} = 0 for all 1 \leq i \leq N.

The case when X is even and Y is odd would be symmetric to the one explained above.

String is of even length

Let X and Y denote the counts of 0 and 1 in the original string respectively. Since the length of the string (N) is even, and X+Y=N, we have two cases:

• X and Y are both even: We can place all the zeros and ones such that S_i = S_{(N+1-i)}. This would make S_i βŠ• S_{(N+1-i)} same (0) for all 1 \leq i \leq N and give us an xor palindrome.
  • X and Y are both odd: The value S_i βŠ• S_{(N+1-i)} can either be 0 or 1.
    Suppose we want to make S_i βŠ• S_{(N+1-i)} = 0 for all 1 \leq i \leq N. This means that S_i = S_{(N+1-i)}. But since the number of zeros and ones is odd, this would not be possible.
    If we want to make S_i βŠ• S_{(N+1-i)} = 1 for all 1 \leq i \leq N, we have to ensure S_i \neq S_{(N+1-i)}. This is possible only if for every 0, we have a 1 and vice versa. In other words, this is possible only when X=Y.
Conclusion

Let X and Y denote the counts of 0 and 1 in the original string respectively.

• If the string is of odd length, the answer is YES.
  • If the string is of even length, we check the values X and Y. The answer is YES if X=Y or X and Y are both even. Else, the answer is NO.

TIME COMPLEXITY:

The time complexity is O(N) per test case.

SOLUTION:

Setter's Solution
#include <bits/stdc++.h>
using namespace std;

void solve()
{
    int n; cin >> n;
    string s; cin >> s;
    array<int, 2> cnt{};
    for(char c: s)
        cnt[c - '0']++;
    if(n % 2 == 1)
        cout << "YES\n";
    else if((cnt[0] % 2 == 0 and cnt[1] % 2 == 0) or cnt[0] == cnt[1])
        cout << "YES\n"; 
    else
        cout << "NO\n";
}

int32_t main()
{
    ios::sync_with_stdio(0); 
    cin.tie(0);
    int T; cin >> T;
    for(int tc = 1; tc <= T; tc++)
    {
        solve();
    }
    return 0;
}
Tester's Solution
#include <bits/stdc++.h>
using namespace std;

int main() {
	int t;
	cin >> t;
	while(t--) {
		int n; cin >> n;
	    string s; cin >> s;
	    int cnt[2] = {0, 0};
	    for(int i = 0; i < n; i++) cnt[s[i] - '0']++;
	    cout << ((n&1) || cnt[0] == cnt[1] || (cnt[0]&1) + (cnt[1]&1) == 0?"YeS":"NO") << "\n";
	}
	return 0;
}
Editorialist's Solution
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main() {
	int t;
	cin>>t;
	while(t--){
	    int n;
	    cin>>n;
	    string s;
	    cin>>s;

int oneCnt = 0;
	    int zeroCnt = 0;
	    for(int i = 0; i<n; i++){
	        if(s[i]=='0') zeroCnt++;
	        else oneCnt++;
	    }

if(n%2 || oneCnt%2==0 || oneCnt==zeroCnt){
	        cout<<"YES";
	    }
	    else{
	        cout<<"NO";
	    }

cout<<endl;
	}
	return 0;
}

when I solved this program in c language with same logic ,I got tle error.how can I resolve this?

can you show your code please

https://www.codechef.com/viewsolution/58375404

Yo, what’s this?

char s[n], i;

i is a Variable of type char. It should have been int, right?

yes.thank you. It’s working now.

2 Likes