ZCO 2015 Discussion

I think the cutoff for both morning and afternoon would be 100/200 .

I took the morning session and got 100 in Variation.
I ran out of time for Breakup.
Let’s see whether 100 would be enough to qualify.

Yay! I got an email saying I had qualified! I got 100.

@potatio Can you please confirm if you took part in the morning session or the afternoon one? I had a full score in the morning session, but haven’t received anything yet.

Took part in the morning session. You will definitely receive one then.

Its definitely very hard. I wouldn’t have been able to complete it. Although Rectangles is pretty easy. Would have done that in 30 minutes. Better Luck next time unless you get selected via ZIO.

@Organic-Shilling How did you go about rectangles? I couldn’t think of a good algo :frowning:

@sandy999 First eliminate Unnecessary points, for eg, if (1,1) exists then (2,2) has no purpose, Now a valid rectangle can be made if we join the base to any point. Now try extending each of these rectangles to as far as they can go, Until another point obstructs us. You’ll have to sort points once by x coordinate and once by y coordinate. Keep an account of the maximum area. It is a lengthy question. With debugging it would have taken 1.5-2 hrs. Although I would have attempted this one before Covering. What algorithm did you use for covering ?

your solution would take O(n^2) time.

1 Like

I am sorry, I didn’t get the unnecessary points part, which points do you consider as unnecessary points? Yeah, I tried sorting once by x coordinate and once by y coordinate but I found difficulty in keeping track of the maximum area. It was frighteningly lengthy. I didn’t get a proper algorithm for Covering either. I tried maintaining a border1 and border2 to keep track of the ranges which should fit in the other sets but never mind, it was wrong and useless (as the sets can overlap in any way). Basically, I am getting a big ZERO.

So did you get an AC for Rectangles? What’s your score?

The RECTANGLE problem is much easier than COVERING.

I gave the morning session. Yeah, there are no unnecessary points I Misread the question. Put my solution as an answer @sandy999

Yes, everyone was experiencing the server problem. Also a morning session was a much easier I would say.

Do you have any ideas about COVERING?

What is the “assumed I have” area ?

Note that VARIATION can be done without binary search as well:

It’s also easier to implement this if you didn’t know about upper_bound.

@sampritipanda None Whatsoever!

Have you solved covering?

Please share the solution if you have solved Covering. @a1b413

2 Likes

Can you share your solution for covering?

They will be different. Probably 200 for us and 40 for you.