Codechef on its way to become a paid platform and next Coding Ninjas or Coding Blocks?

And they said 2020 can’t be worse.

3 Likes

Add mine also :slight_smile:

Am going to eventually go for the WHOLE basic CP knowledge repository here. For my son. For the next generation. Everything you need to get cracking and whip away at serious challenges. A grand course, but one video at a time? Maybe give me an year, but subscriber or not I will build the entire knowledge base here!

5 Likes

I am serious! 191 programmes in 2 months, with a fulltime job. Apart from various contests etc. Need to become strong to pass the torch on.

So subscribe to my channel to get the free dose of daily gyaan (if you are new to CP and want gyaan of course:: Dardev - YouTube)

5 Likes

Been following your videos chief, I must say you are doing really great work. Hats Off to you sir.

1 Like

Posts like these and comments like these motivate me to work even harder. I will share all my theoretical knowledge there, systematically. Please share this widely: Graph Theory: From Beginner to Intermediate - YouTube

7 Likes

Here are my views on this matter.

This claim is very absurd. Codechef is NOT monetizing some previously free resource. Instead, they are curating NEW, quality tutorials and they have to pay those who make them (I’d like to see you commit to some time/resource intensive task without reimbursements).
Sure you can always search and utilize free resources, no one’s stopping you, but I don’t see how this initiative is wrong.

Huh? How is this initiative unequal? How are existing coders even slightly affected (apart from more competition)? I am unable to comprehend how you’ve come to such a conclusion.

No change is taking place in the current functioning of codechef, just expansion.
I’d like you to prove otherwise.

The official contests conducted and the community on discuss (these days however, spare a few quality contributors, it’s mostly “HELP ME! MY DOG ATE MY CODE AND NOW IT WON’T GET AC IN <insert easy problem name here>”).
None of the websites you mentioned have contests even mildly good as codechef contests (I’m not saying cc contests are the best, but they sure have some originality).

Please enlighten codechef on how else they could pay the people for the resources created. Or maybe you could fund the entire program :thinking:
Only if you get into the shoes of those making the tutorials, will you realise, its much easier to rant bullcrap, without the slightest clue of the effort behind stuff.

It’s been partly answered above. Just one important point: the notion “nobody should be denied something because they can’t afford it” doesn’t really apply to everything you get your eyes on. Let that sink in.

Thats exactly how capitalism works. I don’t see how anything is unequal in this, especially since all resources you require are available for free on the internet.

Blah blah blah. I don’t have to answer this.

@admin Please lock this thread, since it’s become a hotspot of (youtube channel) advertisements.

16 Likes

Blah blah blah. I don’t have to answer this.

2 Likes

Doesn’t seem to be the case…

5 Likes

Value? where?

A short contest of just two hours gets 11-12k AC submissions on first problem on cf. A 10 days long challenge getting 18k submissions isn’t a big deal anymore

2 Likes

From experience.

Learning CP isn’t worth paying for. Unlike in school and university, you have complete control over how you learn topics and get better at problem-solving. And you know best how you learn things, not other people. There are thousands of free resources on the Internet (not just CC, but everywhere) that are a search away, and there are often enough that if you don’t understand one or two, you can still turn to other ones. And on a similar note, there are tens of thousands of problems you can use to practice problem-solving and check your understanding of concepts. This is absolutely enough (I got to where I am now with no guidance; just the internet), and even if it takes a while for you to learn stuff, there’s a community that will still (sometimes) answer your questions. If you put in as much effort as those that are receiving paid guidance, you’re very likely to improve as fast as they are.

And another thing, CodeChef’s vision isn’t as skewed as you think it is. The mods and admins are constantly trying to find ways to improve the experience with the site and the forum. I saw recently (~2 weeks ago) that one admin’s ideal image of this forum was a version of StackOverflow for CP. And all the things like the forum are going to stay free.

There is not, and never will be, an environment where you have to pay to become good at CP, because everything that already exists is as good as paid courses.

71 Likes

if no one had value site won`t be running anyway. those who focus only on learning instead of rating have still great deal of knowledge to look into.

Soon ,In order to take part in Long challenges ,cook-offs, Lunchtime code chef will be like …

12 Likes

yes, codeforces >>>> codechef…

5 Likes

I don’t think codechef will ever be paid. They need to keep it free else no one will use it. Unacademy on the other hand has every right to profit from their new venture, but this doesn’t mean cc will become paid. They will sell courses saying “21 din me rating double”, and only fools will buy them. There’s so much free material available online that it doesn’t matter right now. I don’t think it gives competitive advantage. However, it can help you get to 4-5* here but won’t be useful for further improvement.

6 Likes

I would have mentioned this too :

: )

4 Likes

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with releasing paid courses as it totally depends on a person if they want to enroll or not as long as it’s not compulsary to pay to participate or access editorials.

These courses will benefit :

1. Beginners or any other person who seek guidance and professional help in getting into CP.
  2. Everyone who is enhusiastic about teaching and helping others, as it will be a source of income for them.

As long as I don’t find a need to purchase any course no amount of advertisement can make me do it.

As far as coaching and JEE is concerned, everything will eventually end up like the same if we choose to see it that way and believe in the hype.

And business is everywhere you need input to process and then output the result.

8 Likes

there will always be video editorials on youtube that someone would make so I don’t think that making editorial’s paid would be a good step they would wanna take.

Why has @admin said nothing about this?

5 Likes

Codechef removed not-for-profit phrase.
check here

9 Likes