How about replacing long challenge with several short contests?

I completely agree with you.

Have you ever solved the last 3-4 problems of Division 1 in a long contest? You can’t ask those problems in a short contest, sometimes you need to study research papers to solve them. If you ask such problems in short contest, I doubt anyone below Legendary Grand Master would be able to solve them in the duration. The problems are implementation heavy also and not suitable for short contests.

Maybe this can help for starting 2-3 problems, but I have mostly seen that the concepts used in last 2-3 problems are always new. So this won’t help.

2 Likes

Better idea : separate long rating and make 3 long per month , so that u have always some good programming question

also prize is only for div 1 , so no issues :slight_smile:

4 Likes

who’s stopping you from upsolving them ?

I want to solve them in the contest and I have solved some before but it took me 1-2 days, need to refer research papers.
What’s the point of upsolving if you can’t solve it in a live contest.

2 Likes

Do you know what you’re saying? upsolving has no meaning according to you ? cause if that’s the case then you’re the next tourist buddy, sorry my bad

Yeh badhiya tha guru!

2 Likes

I look at the editorials but they become too much complicated for end problems, so yeah I don’t upsolve them. But I definitely upsolve starting 4-5 problems if they use some standard ideas.

Why not start the contest after 8 days then?

Dude why are you contradiciting yourself every now and then?

Just tell me how are you claiming to solve the last problems in a live contest here when you can’t upsolve them :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

What are you saying? If I can’t solve the last 2-3 problems in 1 contest and I didn’t upsolve it also, then does it mean that I won’t be able to solve them in the next contest too?
What’s contradictory here? :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t think making long challenge unrated is the solution to reduce cheating. Because those who can copy paste in long challenge can also do the same in short contests as well. Long challenge is very beneficial for learning algorithms because it contains so many problems from high level concepts. We can learn the concepts and implement them in a real contest. You can say that if u want to learn then you can even do it when it is unrated but look there has to be some result of your 10 day hardwork.

1 Like

It was when I can’t solve them in a live contest. I think you took some other meaning of it.

Yeah, that’s the whole point man, lemme clarify,

1. First case is you don’t have the capability to solve contest that means you can either read the editorial and do it or give more time to the problem without looking at the editorial (doing all that research paper stuff you mentioned above) so you can upsolve it in any way you like(or not upsolve at all as you mentioned).
  2. Second case is suppose you’re capable of solving the problem in a live contest then you can definitely solve it while upsolving too right ?
    Hence in either case upsolving doesn’t make any difference .

Here you understood wrong. As I said, I only look at editorials of problems which I couldn’t solve in the contest, given that I participated. If I didn’t participate, I don’t even look at the problems.
And yeah if I solved some problem in a contest before, I can upsolve it anytime.

That’s your problem right we don’t have anything to do with that? you definitely have an option to do those problems while upsolving and if you’re not availing it it’s not anyone’s fault but yours.

Looks like you are always in a mood of starting a heated argument. I challenge you to upsolve one long challenge problem in atmost 2 hrs even after looking the approach(but not the codes). Do you accept it? I will give you the problem. Also you are not allowed to copy anyone’s library, since you have the freedom to look solution. Most probably the problem would require Advanced concepts like FFT/NTT.

1. Wont change anything, only participation will go down. Cheating on various kick start, cf contests have proved that, we indians are more inclined towards the sith than towards the jedi.
    Lets just say I will become 1 star without longs, but there are many who will stay 5/6 easily with only shorts. The ratings will more or less remain the same.
  2. Totally true. But when u see submissions going up on a problem u haven’t solved in a long, it actually pushes ur limits too (or u can be demotivated, u always have a choice). It has pushed me multiple times tbh.
  3. Solve in the last 5 days then, don’t blame anyone if it backfires.
  4. Very essential
  5. I doubt people learn too many new things from short, especially since the recent contests require thinking and coding fast more than algorithmic skills. But anyways, a valid point.

PS-If you remove ratings from a contest, will it actually help? I mean how will u push ur limits if u’ve nothing to lose

2 Likes

Looks like you are not getting my point at all, I never said average coders will be able to solve these problems in 2hrs but they can always upsolve them after the contest whats the problem in that ?.

If you have any arguments left please answer this instead of swaying away from the topic of discussion.

1 Like

The topic of Discussion is “Should we replace long with several short contests”. My answer is No because then you won’t get problems which are as tough as the last 2-3 problems of long. You won’t learn new algorithms in short contest. Show me any short contest problem whose solution requires you to study some research paper. But I can show many problems of long contest.
You are just arguing on “Upsolving Part” and you are the only one who took the discussion topic to some other direction.

1 Like