How to get 6 star on codechef

I have learned many algorithm from geeksforgeeks like dynamic programing pattern searching and data structure and even advance data structure now what to do to get good at competitive coding like codechef

2 Likes

@l_returns can give you some good advices as he has been a 6-star coder in the past and currently is only 10-20 rating points away from 6-stars :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You are also almost 6*, can you share some ‘pointers’(no pun intended :D)

2 Likes

“like codechef” !!!:thinking::thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

Participate regularly and learn how to apply those algorithms now. Learning their application is main thing to learn. Knowing algorithm won’t help at all. You should immediately get an idea when you read a problem that which algorithm is suitable and optimal for given problem. And this is the main thing which we learn from competitive.
Anyone can easily learn new algorithms but how to and where to implement them is the thing which makes you different from others.

38 Likes

Thankyou so much :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Only practice can get you good at competitive coding. If you have just started or about to start, let me tell you it wont be easy(nothing is), you have to work hard to get to 6 stars, maybe even harder to maintain it. If you love coding and ready to invest a lot of time in it, no one can stop you to reach it.

7 Likes

here

2 Likes

It is a top-secret and as you can see no 6-star coder is sharing it :stuck_out_tongue: If we somehow get the secret, we will also keep that a secret forever :stuck_out_tongue: @harshraj22

10 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

ROFL …
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I am not 6* but maybe I can answer this.

1. Start solving questions from Long Challenges at first, because you will have much to think and there is no penalty for WA or TLE.
  2. Try to learn all algorithms of basic and advanced on the link Learn Data Structures and Algorithms | DSA tutorials | CodeChef
  3. After every contest you participate, For those problem you solved, check on the editorials ( and comment section of editorial ) to look out some easier/better approach of the solution, for unsolved problems, learn it from editorial.
  4. Now start competing on short contest too.

Disclaimer: It is very easy to give advice than to follow it. For example, look at me. I don’t follow any of the advice I mentioned here. :rofl::rofl:

Note: Yes, It is a lengthy process and most give up after 2-3 months. If you want something overnight I would recommend photoshop.

27 Likes

I am very very bad at coding. Thanks for the advice. Let’s see if I can follow. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I would recommend inspect element XD.

9 Likes

I swear. This is the best :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

this ? \hsapce{0mm}

This would work:-
1)Rank-1 in Div-2 Long.
2)Rank-1 in Div-2 cookoff.
3)Rank-1 in Div-1 Lunchtime.
4)Rank-1 in Div-1 Long.

Hurray!!! You are 6-stars in just 1.5 months :heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Lol…big lol…:joy::joy::joy::joy: ( 20 char kha gye merko)

2 Likes

Inspect element. (20 characters)

1 Like

Give up because everyone with more than 4 stars have a differently structured brain than everyone below 4 stars

2 Likes