ICPC India Regionals Online Round 2019 - Updates

I dont know anything anymore, in all seriousness CC should take much more care and keep on testing the questions for at least ICPC contests. Why is it CC that always has problems when problems for standard contests are made. Just why?

3 Likes

Note that there was a copied problem too! That problem had other issues as well but note that ‘just one wrong problem’ is enough here for a re-contest, because it affects the (better) teams being selected to the regionals.

2 Likes

Firstly, i highly doubt that many teams would have found the corner case in the obvious greedy solution.
Secondly, It was a three person team contest. So even if one guy was on to think about this problem, there were two others to think about the rest of the questions.

6 Likes

The copied problem was literally the easiest and the most solved problem! I guess that if any team is in dire straits and the only thing they can do is to search for its solution on google, then they definitely have no chance of qualifying!

15 Likes

I agreed with you @viciouscoder

4 Likes

I guess the best solution would be to make SUMOR an approximation question and give marks accordingly, to those who attempted it.

1 Like

That is unfair many people didn’t attempt as their team members came up with corner cases where their logic was failing

6 Likes

I agree with @viciouscoder , 1 wrong problem isn’t enough to reschedule the test. If we look past 2 years ICPC online rounds, issues were with them too. Even in 2017, 3rd problem’s answer was public on a portal.
Think about those teams who solved 4 problems, secured a good rank and haven’t any idea of that wrong problem. Rescheduling isn’t fair for them.

Only 2 things can be done -

1. Remove the problem
  2. Pass only the correct submissions
4 Likes

There was problem with the IDE mode of submission. First of all, the file upload was not functioning properly.

Secondly, when we copy-pasted the code from our editor to the IDE, unless we ran it there and then submit, the previous code was being submitted everytime. This caused us 3 penalties in question 3.
Then we thought to click on our solution link and we noticed that our old code was being submitted every time even when we were submitting our updated code.
Finally when we saw this, we ran our correct code on the IDE and submitted. Only then our updated code was submitted and we got an AC eventually.

Whereas the file upload as well as the IDE worked fine in the practice contest.

Please look into it @admin Had this issue not been there, we wouldn’t have got 3 penalties and we would have secured a rank under 500 and qualify for the Gwalior regionals (being 1st in our college). This is very very unfair! Codechef shouldn’t host ICPC anymore if you can’t even handle such an important contest every year.

It was our final year and lost the opportunity just because of CodeChef :frowning:

6 Likes

I completely agree with @viciouscoder .

3 Likes

Okay, I’m just gonna say this.

1. No solution will be universally fair.
  2. It appears that most of the teams are simply asking for recontest because they had a bad contest and want a second shot. MOST teams that solved 4 Q, then discovered the edge test case while solving sumor, then moved on to other Q are already qualifying anyway. Although no doubt very very few teams may have genuinely suffered their chances of qualifying.
  3. there is no time to host another round as preparation of a contest takes time for cc and Diwali/end sems of most Universities are in November
6 Likes

That Q was cakewalk. There are very little innovative and original cakewalks. Most of them are pretty much very trivial things, so your point of “copied cakewalk” is really weak.

5 Likes

I don’t think point is to delete that question ‘Now’. but,it should have been deleted during initial problem setting phase. I don’t believe if you are saying “forming a not copied cakewalk is hard”. I feel many college conduct more balanced and a lot interesting contest, so why cant cc for ICPC online round.

And again No offense intended to cc or vijju123

Fair point. But my point is that a cakewalk problem being non original is not a problem as they claim it to be. I remember some long challenge had cakewalk of printing max(20B-10A,0) . I mean, you get the flow.

Original and fun cakewalks are good and preferred, but they are not compulsory.

3 Likes

Ah yes - CodeChef: Practical coding for everyone :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I cannot log in from my icpc account…Is anyone facing this issue?

Yeah they have restricted our access.

Cool, Thanks,

I have solved two problems in ICPC online round 2019 through ICPC FOR SCHOOLS 2019 am I eligible for regional round?
If I am eligible when I will be notified by codechef?