MAY Long Challenge 2021 - Asking for opinion

Can’t agree more , I stopped participating in Long after reaching Div 1 because of the cheating and ratings issue , P.S.: I know I don’t participate in Short as well nowadays but it is because of time issues .

2 Likes

You should take a look at his motto, lol :joy:

2 Likes

I am slightly disappointed, particularly if this is going to be a regular thing. The Long Challenge is the only Codechef competition I regularly participate in. Most of my competitive programming is on Codeforces, but I like the Long Challenge format where one can actually spend time researching problems, rather than working against a short timescale, and I don’t know any other sites that do similar long challenges.

I will probably still participate, but if this becomes the regular rule for the long challenge my Codechef rating will never change again.

1 Like

Actually it might make sense to completely separate one’s long challenge rating and division from one’s short challenge rating. In some ways the skills needed are rather different for the two types of challenges, and if people feel the long challenge ratings are unreliable (due to cheating or other reasons) they could simply ignore them.

4 Likes

I almost never participated in long challenges due to the cheating involved (and also at times wasn’t sure I would be able to spend few days on the contest). So I might now finally try participating again in long contests as I feel they have good problems and editorials.

@king_of_string , @holmes_7 , @aberent , @tesla_24

It was officially confirmed that this was a temporary decision.

2 Likes

The first impression for me was that :slight_smile:

1. No of participants in div1 << No of participants in div2
  2. Hard to say but definitely a percentage of div1 participants are involved in leaking solution, or atleast they are the upper bound for these kinds of activities. So these solutions leaked into the market misdirects people who have just crossed the “beginner” line of coding. So this section of misguided and misguider are the ones responsible for the chaos. As I guess that its pretty intuitive that copy/paste of very easy solutions involving basics stuffs, maybe A and B, does not impose much of an effect because “everyone learns those basic stuffs.”
  3. Making it unrated will cause lesser participation in div1 but it wont affect much as the initial participation is already less. But the misguiders will have less of a reason to attempt those problems. It requires desperation of the next world to solve a problem just for the purpose of leaking it. Not 100% but most of the ground is covered here.
  4. The only damage is for the ones who fall into the category of enjoying Long Challenge problems and also the rating boost that comes with it. Well you can still enjoy the problems. And there are short contests for ratings. But maybe thats why they called it a temporary decision.
  5. It could all be a bluff. Personally, after a long time and due to known reasons, I am now willing to try out some problems.
    I hope that i was able to shed some light on the response pattern of your pole @infinite_king
1 Like

I am not in division-1 but I want to express my opinions as well. Just for the rating, many users especially in division-3 plagiarise the code at the last moment. So long challenge should be unrated for division-2 and division-3 as well so that new users and some intermediate users are forced to participate in the short contest as well because the level of cheating in the short contest is very low. And someone has to face high competition and think of a solution in a small amount of time in some point of their life. Also, in long challenges, there are some problems that need a lot of efforts to solve, copying those codes without understanding or not giving attributions to third party websites is not a good spirit. So, it should be unrated for all so that people are forced to give small contests and face tough competition those who are interested in CP.
What are your thoughts about this @cubefreak777 and @suman_18733097 ?

2 Likes

Keeping a 10-day challenge unrated is not fair according to me. Making unrated is not a solution for everything. Plagiarism is something we can’t stop/reduce.

You should probably note that Codechef’s Long Challenge records the highest number of participants and highest number of submissions out of all known Coding Competitions. If it is made unrated, a huge number of participants will stop participating. Not only students, many others like IT professionals, even Teachers participate in Long to enhance their skills and learn new stuff.

Learning while competing is a great thing. If competition itself is reduced, people don’t show interest to participate.

Also, there is a signficantly less number of participants in Short Contests because the timings of short contests are not feasible for everyone.

But since long challenge runs for about 10 days, people from different parts of the world can find time to solve challenges.

I highly disagree with your opinion.

3 Likes

I am new to codechef long challenges and just wondering how will they break ties this time without challenge problems. Anyone has any idea?(Also it seems this month’s problems are easier with no interactive or optimization problems)

They won’t

1 Like

I think codechef should make long challenge completely unrated as there are mass cheating this time also. Many people are getting solutions from telegram groups and youtube due to which those are solving problems on their own are suffering a loss due to rank. I also have solved one question on first day only but after that I am unable to solve so my rank is increasing exponentially. Due to cheaters my rating and many other honest people ratings may be severely affected. Codechef should take strict action against cheaters or make long challenge unrated.

I have also decided to not give long challenge now as even after solving 2-3 questions my rank goes so up and my rating is affected
I am not going to give long challenge anymore now.

5 Likes

focus on solving all 7 / 9 (depending on division) and don’t give a fuck about others

You underestimate cheaters, and the ones who help them cheat. Do you think div 1 problem solvers leak solution because they have solved it before everyone else and making it unrated would make it difficult to do so. Hold it right there. The one’s who leak solutions are in this money. Its not hard to say them may have accounts in div2 and div1 already and for div3 just make a new one.

So rated or unrated. If money is involved they will do it no matter what.

1 Like

have fun. https://discuss.codechef.com/t/mass-cheating-in-may-long-challenge/89482

1 Like

https://discuss.codechef.com/t/mass-cheating-in-may-long-challenge/89482. I think i went a little ahead of me. But still what do you think.

1 Like

Did Anyone told you that this scenario is temporary. Also Please do pay attention https://discuss.codechef.com/t/mass-cheating-in-may-long-challenge/89482

1 Like

Are you sure you are being honest here as I can see you participating from 2 accounts in this current long challenge?

1 Like

2 accounts?

Yes,I’ll get back to you shortly .