REMOVE PENALITY or CHANGE JUDGE FOR FIRST QUESTION (DISCSHOP)||ACM ICPC19

dude it is a serious problem …weak test case is still a secondary thing but wrong misinterpretation of the questions tops the list and u have to keep in mind the first question decides ur fate for many colleges like us

4 Likes

exactly i can feel your pain

i can feel your pain

If no action is taken, many people will suffer. If action is taken, then also many people will suffer. So, better cancel this contest and host a new one. This is not some monthly contest and usual contest. This is the “Olympics of CP”. Very rare competition and dream of many. And such a blunder, such carelessness, is not acceptable. And all fault is from their side. So, we all deserve the new contest. And that would be fair for everyone, without any confusion, or so.

13 Likes

I don’t think there’s a chance of that happening.

1 Like

Then those who performed well (We didn’t) will suffer.

2 Likes

Deserving students will manage to perform well next time too.

2 Likes

the whole point of this discussion is so specific that the first question should be rejudged
do not distract from the point :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think it is the wrong way of looking at the issue. Other people who deserved being ranked in a better position due to no fault of theirs aren’t there its just basically that. The ranking got biased for the well performers in an ill-framed question.

Deserving students should have managed to perform well in this round itself.

Note: Even our team performed very poorly. We wouldn’t probably get selected in either regional. We will be benefitted if one more chance is given. But, that’s unfair.

4 Likes

i think they should rejudge the solutions of 1st question with improved test cases.

This was my last time. I couldn’t attend the regionals two years back, even after getting selected. That is no solution in short. The question literally, misled the paricipants into making wrong submissions and wasting time in finding boundary cases that didn’t exist. The organisers ought to take action, when such a grave error creeps into the very first stage of the contest.

5 Likes

This I feel will be a better step to some extent. Still nothing can address the issue of contestants wasting close to an hour, due to a fault on the part of the problem writer. I really feel we could have implemented another problem with that time which we did manage finding the answer to, and I know there are a lot of other teams who faced the same problem.

2 Likes

same here, though we took around 12 mins on first and second got AC in 10 mins

2 Likes

But is it fair that people wasted over 1 or 2 hours on a question which was not solvable in given time limit?

2 Likes

But they should know if the question is solvable in given time limit. :cold_face:

On a serious note, Yes it’s unfair.
I am OK with if they are given chance that doesn’t affect the teams to be selected.
As of now, there are no such solutions, unless they decide to increase the capacity of regional sites and select extra teams from a new contest. Which is unlikely.
Also, I am pretty sure some kind of complaints will arise on fresh contest too.

exactly. i think rejudging is the best option they have.

That’s expected in the most important contest of the year.

But there is no point of this discussion as @admin is showing no involvement at all.

1 Like

If you have a problem with the ranking system using 20 minute penalties to break ties, even the ICPC regionals and world finals use this system. So I don’t think that the ranking system is CodeChef’s fault, however the contest specifics are definitely on CodeChef.

Agree with u on this

1 Like