What are karma points?

I am new to this karma system, Can you explain me why is it called so? What has karma points got to do with contribution?

7 Likes

Karma points/Reputation indicate how good you are in the community and how much the community trusts you. They are earned by convincing your peers that you know what youā€™re talking about. Karma points also unlock certain privileges for you. We have also created a page that lists the top karma earners every month. Karma points are directly proportional to the amount of contribution you make, so keep contributing.

Note: Karma in Indian religions is the concept of ā€œactionā€ or ā€œdeedā€ (from Wikipedia).

11 Likes

As I have karma = 1, I cannot comment on the problems of June challenge (I can, but it says ā€œyou comment screened out till adminā€™s approvalā€, and I got no answers yet), neither I can create new threads in discussions :frowning:

So, probably, someone will see my comment here and will comment on my behalf that I have strong suspicions that the problem CHPLGNS of Juneā€™s Challenge has incorrect test data set #9. If you solve the problem honestly testing for each pair of the polygons, which one is contained inside another one, it will detect that in the data set #9 there is a pair of polygons not lying one inside another (my implementation of this approach correctly passes all other test cases, showing, by the way, that in the test cases #### 4, 10 some of the polygons touch each other, though taskā€™s authors replied many times in the comments that it never happens). So, there is another, simpler approach to solve the problem, valid if it is guaranteed, as in the task condition, that for each pair of the polygons one of them contains another. And this approach passes the set #9, though, in no way it really checks that the test-set satisfies task conditions.

2 Likes

Hey friend see as per i know karma is an Indian word which fairly means contribution and you can earn this by asking good question giving good answers so that any one accepts it and votes your question, hope you find it useful.

When a question or answer is up-voted, the user who posted them will gain some points, which are called ā€œkarma pointsā€. These points serve as a rough measure of the community trust in him/her. Various moderation tasks are gradually assigned to the users based on those points.

For example, if you ask an interesting question or give a helpful answer, your input will be up-voted. On the other hand if the answer is misleading, it will be down-voted. Each vote in favor will generate 15 points, each vote against will subtract 1 point. There is a limit of 200 points that can be accumulated per question or answer. The table below explains karma requirements for each type of moderation task.

vote up -> 0
vote down -> 15
edit wiki posts -> 200
mark a question as community wiki -> 2000
add comments -> 0
delete comments -> 400
close own questions -> 60
reopen own questions -> 120
retag other questions -> 150

// This answer was given by somebody else related to karma. Explains it well.

Karma is an Indian belief, derived from Buddhism. The theory of karma says that your present situation, good or bad, is a reflection of your deeds in the past(some also tell ā€˜past lifeā€™).
In the same way, I believe karma points here is a reflection of how well you have contributed to the discussion!

3 Likes

How can I increase my karma points?

I am currently having 1 Karma point. So i cant vote up, cant ask question and cant comment. What can i do to get karma points?

The link : The new Karma system | CodeChef

You can probably refer to this link to get a brief knowledge about this . This is a new system proposed by codechef discuss team so that their web is not over populated with wrong questions and answer .
Happy coding !!

6 Likes

i canā€™t ask questions so how to get 3 karma points. please help ā€¦

1 Like

i want to ask a question. but i have only one karma point. how to earn karma points?

1 Like

how to earn karma points?

1 Like

Itā€™s too bad that you need to have three ā€œKARMAā€ for asking your first question, while by registering you just get 1 karma. :confused:

1 Like

How to increase karma points? Need 3 points to ask questions :frowning:

1 Like

I need to ask the question over here but donā€™t have enough karma points.

I am having the same trouble many had before me of 1 karma, So
I am not able to ask a question I am really struggling with. Plz help.

And how do I get a Karma if I am not even allowed to perform a ritual -_-

1 Like

I have some questions to ask, how do I reach 3 Karma points, what kind of contributions can I make?
Edit: I will try to answer the questions I can, but how long do I have to wait for 3 Karma. :frowning:

I only have 1 karma point! Urgently need to ask a question on the forum as the cotest is going to end, I have the correct code as it shows correct answers to all the test cases I put in (ORACLCS, December Challenge), but when it submit it, it doesnt get accepted! Donā€™t know what to do.

Your karma increases when people upvote your question/answer, when someone accepts your answer, etc.