Introducing CodeChef Games

I am not able to type anything in code completion 1v1 challenge. I don’t know why , i tried several times but still unable to do so.

I am facing the same problem.

Are you sure @cunnp_2313 that it was code completion challenge only and not a hacking challenge where the solution code is entirely locked for editing?
Also, in case of Code Completion, you need to fill in only some snippet of code and not the entire code, due to which some sections of solution which are pre-provided cannot be edited as they’re locked.

It seems currently that the games have a constant set score (which might be decided based on participant ratings during the start of a game), and it gets awarded as a game concludes. Though this ensures that it doesn’t matter whether you solve a challenge faster or slower, with or without Wrong Answer (WA) penalties, problem-level and other differentiators. Although it’s all good for beginners, can we expect higher-rated players or those who have played over a certain games benefit (or lose) based on some of these additional differentiators, so that the below game scores doesn’t get this constant as shown?

One quick thing I’m looking for is possibly having double of this decided positive score if we’re able to win a game puzzle within first half (i.e., initial 5 minutes of 10 minutes)? And how about a bonus +1 to appreciate if a problem is solved with AC in the first attempt? 1-vs-1 isn’t where I currently complain about it, but Puzzles could unlock these variations for seasoned gamers so that the rewards do not feel nearing constants. :smiley:
P.S.: Loving the gaming experience so far, but I do look out for it’s all-time leaderboard intermittently.

3 Likes

Yes @harshit_0 it was code completion and I know that we have to add some missing code.
But I was not able to type even in the blank lines.

1 Like

This is especially true for hacking, tight constraints would actually be helpful as for easy problems with highly errant codes, a valid strategy is to go for sufficiently large T (say 5/6) and just enter random (valid) numbers. In cases where test cases are small and constraints allow for this with relative ease, one can even forego reading the problem statement altogether.
Another way to handle such issues would be to have code that is only slightly errant or fails on a very small set of test cases.
While employing the above strategy isn’t wrong, but personally, I find it somewhat distasteful as that’s not even proper hacking (and losing rating this way somehow feels worse).

2 Likes

Today, at 9.56 AM IST, I was given a puzzle which had a typo, in the replacement operation for an N-character string, we were allowed to replace the {i}-th character, with the {N+i-1}-th character. I understand that this should’ve been {N-i+1} instead (considering 1-based indexing), based both on the samples as well as bounds. Hope this is corrected for others.

@warks - thanks for reporting this - will get it fixed.

How could I both Lose and Win on a CodeChef game tried on 10th Jan 2023? It’s the same challenge, verified by both timestamp and View Solution option. :frowning:

Please fix the issues so that they are not repeated in the same games in the future. :smiling_face:

IMO 1v1 shouldn’t feature any bonus points.

Puzzles can get more interesting if the number of attempts is much smaller. Chess puzzles typically don’t allow mistakes or allow at most a fixed number (3?) for a series of challenges.

I’m looking for a leaderboard too and would like to know how good “Expert in CodeChef Games” is. May be worth adding to the resume if it’s in the top 10 or something. (just kidding)

1 Like

Today, at 12.40PM I received a puzzle which had inconsistencies in the expected output and the printed samples. The arrays printed had a different length (N) than that of the ones expected (N-2). I tried this again at 12.52, this time as an unrated puzzle to try and mimic the sample output pattern(length N) and that worked, but it’s not really the experience I would expect. Please look into this, while I already lost rating due to this, I hope this is corrected for others.

Not sure if anyone except admins can use this link, but this puzzle has UB that is impossible to fix: variable c is uninitialized and will remain uninitialized if we don’t enter the if statement.

1 Like

the submission takes a lot of time and doesn’t give any verdict, Right now I am giving it and it has been stuck like this for a couple of minutes

3 Likes

I am submitting the solution, I am getting correct answer too, but I am not winning the 1v1 game.

resolve this issue please.

i have been submitting my code but it’s not loading or getting compiled !!

another problem i faced – 1) i don’t get the verdict or 2)even if submitted i get wrong / totally different result ( i am using edge browser this was take from code completion— void solve wasn’t a function nor there was any s[i]

there are lot of bugs.

I am facing the same issue. I have submitted the code in the debug contest but it is showing fetching the results since 5 minutes. Tried to submit thrice.

@rj_150 @adarsh_kashyap @neel_04 @anon91467295

There were a lot of users using the platform from 6 - 7 PM due to an event at one of the colleges. Sorry for the inconvenience. We hadnt planned our judging capacity correctly.

3 Likes

@warks - thanks for pointing this out. Have fixed this. Other users will see the corrected version.