@admin Wonderful work done in making the new Codechef Discuss Forum. Revamped Look, Awesome Feel and Mobile Support.
However the community has a few suggestions to make this discuss forum and the main site even better(with a poll for each feature below). Please participate wholeheartedly in the polls (No requirement to be 18+). One Vote, One Value! The entire voting is anonymous, and I doubt whether the admin’s can see whom you voted for.
- A number-based ranking should be included at the end for people to vote on the overall readability of the editorial. Would show how the community rates the editorial.
- Overall Ranklist update based on recent participation. A marvellous suggestion by @karangreat234 and has been added to this list on his request. The entire description is here
- Fair enough
- A ‘Suggest Edits’ button like in StackOverflow to allow users to suggest edits to prettify the content and make it more readable. This could make Good editorials with Bad Formatting better readable and understandable. Suggested Edits could be approved by moderators (and reduce their work of editing it themselves).
- Sounds Good
- Not Reasonable
- A short, yet concise guideline popup for those posting a new question on this forum. This is to reduce the number of posts(spam) that don’t help the community on the whole.
Usually these questions come in the format of ‘Why is my code xxxx not working?’ These sort of questions don’t show individual effort of the author on explaining WHY the code works, whats the logic behind it and so on. Moreover, editorials are published from which they can find out the correct method.
Also, implementing restrictions on accounts which violate the guidelines repeatedly will effectively reduce the number of such questions.
- Not Helpful
- A Link on the top of the discuss forum linking to the https://www.codechef.com/. This will help for quick navigation between the discuss and the home page. Suggestion by @aryanc403.
- Not much
- A Copy to Clipboard button for the sample input and output of questions in Codechef. This could make copy-pasting sample test cases to a .txt file or the terminal easier.
- ‘Hide Tags by Default’ option for the questions in the practice section can help programmers who don’t want the key-logic to be revealed to them. Very useful for (honest) contest-sort self-preparation. Suggestion by @adzo261
- Should be implemented
- Not required
- Push Notifications on the results of code submission (AC, TLE, WA, …). This will help during fast-paced contests, where time is important. A browser plugin is available, but an integrated one would be much better.
- Would definitely help me
- Not likely to help
- Editorials should not come up on the discuss page unless the #editorial is searched for. Since a discuss forum is supposed to be a question and answer forum, the dominance of editorials in the search results make it difficult to find community asked questions. People searching for editorials of the latest questions can, in any case, search for it using the editorial tag.
- I agree
- I disagree
- Notify on upload of editorial. Sometimes, after a contest, we might want to see the editorial of a particular question, but it might not have come out yet. So, a notify on Editorial upload option would help greatly.
- I would benefit from this
- I don’t think this would be useful
- Run against sample testcases of the selected problem in Codechef IDE. Quite self explanatory and particularly useful to Codechef IDE users for testing code against the sample input provided in the question. Marvellous suggestion by @l_returns.
- Would help me a lot
- I doubt this is required
- Default details for filtering rank list in contests. Many a times people want to know their rank in comparison to others from their own university. So if the institute details were already filled by default would make the search easier and less repetitive(A similar default feature was implemented by codechef for the language of code submission). Suggestion by @udayan14
- Would make it easier for me
- Wouldn’t be of help
If anyone wants to give any reasons stating the short-comings in my suggestions, you are free to explain in the comments section below!
Also, if anyone has more ideas, just drop them in the comments below and I’ll update them in this post(with credits )